On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 04:09 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

Ther are a couple of different possiblities for where we pay...

at the moment we save 4MB on the default install. This is not as trivial as
people make out - my 6GB drive is generally full, and I actively look at
anything over 1MB to see if I can get rid of it. Add to that the time to
download (in Australia this is still surprisingly slow over phone lines,
which is how I do it) and it is clear that it would be nice not to install
this unnecessarily.
One semi-hackish way to do this would be to make the server a BuildDepends. That way it would be installed afterwards, but it would be safely removable.