On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 08:44 PM, Ben Hines wrote:

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

Karin Kosina wrote:

I still do not see how enabling prebinding can ever be bad. If I
understand the documentation correctly, the worst thing that can
happen is that prebinding cannot be used, resulting in the exact
same situation as if it hadn't been enabled in the first place...

I don't see how it can be bad either, but I also don't see how it can be *automated*. If you know how we can have the offsets be the same across all fink installations, then go for it. But one of the goals of Fink is for the resulting binaries to be the same across all installations, regardless of where they're built.

Perhaps you missed the discussion of seg_addr_table then? It can be easily automated with some fink support and use of the Shlibs field. Someone just needs to implement it. See carsten's exp dir.

Mach-O prebinding info is NEVER the same across OS X installations, that cannot be considered part of the 'binaries are the same' policy.

From what I have gathered from other lists, update_prebinding modifies the lib or app permantly; it changes it's md5 anyway...so it may take a few times loading to get everything prebound together, ie. it does the lowest level of libs, then the next level, etc. until it prebinds the app itself.

But this can only happen if it has *some* address to start with.

HTH,
-chris zubrzycki
- --
PGP public key: http://homepage.mac.com/beren/publickey.txt
ID: 0xA2ABC070
Fingerprint: 26B0 BA6B A409 FA83 42B3  1688 FBF9 8232 A2AB C070