Dear fink-devel,

We need to do some further work on our system-xfree86 package.

Imagine a user who is interested in doing binary-only installs of Fink
packages.  We already know that such a user won't need the Developer tools,
because no compiling will be done.  Similarly, such a user does not need
the X11 SDK package.

We need a system similar to that of other Fink packages, where both xfree86
and system-xfree86 are split into -dev, -shlibs, and main packages, and
we use a build depenency only for system-xfree86-dev (which would be the
part which requires X11 SDK).

This is something we should do soon.  The first step will be to construct
xfree86 and system-xfree86 packages which do this; the second step will
be to modify existing Fink packages to conform to this system.

If you choose to believe that this recommendation is influenced by
something I saw at WWDC, that's up to you. :-)

  -- Dave