D. Höhn wrote:
[]
<snip>
|  <finkprefix>/Applications, and there is a symlink in
|  /Applications/Fink.

Since you are altering the system outside of finkprefix, has this been
discussed? I might have missed it, I was away for a bit

Yes, IMHO it has been sufficiently discussed. Here are a few links to threads from the last three years:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=141217
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=141024
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7151498
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8366254

I don't know if you remember this year's discussions, but I had the impression that at the end you were not opposed to this procedure. This is also not the first package that uses /Applications/Fink for storing a symlink to /sw/Applications/foo.app, Jeff's r-base does it, and my freefem++, too. We'll see if there are any serious problems caused by this.

BTW, I would think that the xfree/xorg/applex11tools packages could use a similar system. Right now they install XDarwin.app directly into /Applications and X11.app into %p/Applications. Putting the .apps into %p/Applications and a symlink into /Applications/Fink/ would give a more consistent user experience.