David> As mentioned on the new "preparing for 10.5" page on the fink wiki,
David> echo -n is now deprecated in fink.  I have edited the vast majority
David> of packages where this occurs to conform to the new version.  Instead of

David>    echo -n "string"

David> one should now write

David>    /bin/echo "string\c"

Well, this is a sad day.

Ever since Unix V7 (the One True Unix), echo -n worked.

The \c was introduced by the Sys3 (later Sys-V) cretins.  Unfortunately,
SysV was adopted as POSIX, more or less.

It's sad that we're losing the legacy means. :(