On Dec 16, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Jean-François Mertens wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2006, at 02:38, David R. Morrison wrote:
>
>> The reason for the /bin has to do with behaviors of different
>> shells in Tiger.  Without writing /bin/echo, the 'echo' command is
>> processed as a shell built-in, and the results are different for
>> bash and tcsh.
> You're completely right !
> But {Compile,Install,etc...}Script's are always executed under (ba)
> sh, no ?
> (unless the maintainer specifies differently, knowing what he is
> doing...)

I think the postinstall scripts are executed under the user's shell,
though.  And we've used this construction a lot in those scripts.

Also, I believe that Tiger's tcsh mimics the POSIX behavior but
Tiger's bash does not.  So even if we relied on scripts being
executed by bash, we would have trouble if the current bash is not
POSIX-compliant.

   -- Dave