Hi folks,

so I just got my new shiny MacBook Pro, yippie. And one of the first
things I did, naturally, was to install Fink on it (the pangocairo
branch, even).

One of the packages I wanted to install was (and is) wireshark, which
needs gtk+2, which at some points pulls in doxygen. So far so good,
but now the "problem" for me is that doxygen wants tetex-base. But I
am using MacTeX / TeXLive these days, simply because tetex is no
longer maintained  (not just as a Fink package *g*, the whole thing
really has been officially dead since July 2006). But I absolutely
need some of the newer TeX stuff, so I have to use it. I guess it
might be the same for some other people.

OK, so at this point I could just fold, install tetex-base anyway and
keep /usr/texbin before it in my PATH. Maybe remove the parts of it
which are only BuildDepends afterwards. But then, this would leave the
problem for others to go through... Not nice.

Of course, TeXLive is not tetex, so making a tetex "wrapper" around it
would cause lots of problems and headaches. There is just no point in
doing that, I believe.. If a package wants to extend tetex, it would
be silly to try to coerce it to work atop TeXLive.

But then, doxygen only needs to be able to use "epstopdf" and "latex".
There is no reason why it shouldn't be able to work with TeXLive, or
Fink's tetex, or virtually any other TeX distro out there. Of course
in Fink we only have tetex-base, system-tetex, etc., so there is no
way to distinguish between packages which just *use* (La)TeX, and
those which want to extend it and thus need deeper access.

So, why not add that ability? For example, we could introduce some new
virtual packages, along the line of the existing "pdftex", "hyperref",
"dvipdfm", "epstopdf" etc. packages -- stuff like "latex", "tex",
maybe more if we need them. Then packages like doxygen or latexmk
would just depend on these, while packages which try to extend tetex
would still require tetex-base.

Then, it would be easy to write a system-mactex package, which simply
adds /usr/texbin to Fink's PATH (at the end), OR symlinks latex, tex,
epstopdf, etc., and provides the correct packages. It would *NOT* try
to provide tetex-base etc.  Of course system-tetex & tetex-FOO would
also provide the new virtual packages.

This way, we would be able to go forwards with TeX support, leaving
all roads: I.e. we'd be able to continue our tetex package, OR add a
TeXLive package one day, OR add yet another TeX distro one day. People
who want MacTeX could use it for lots of stuff which only needs to run
latex (like doxygen or latexmk, and others). Packagers could declare
the pkg dependencies with more detail.

What do you think?
Cheers,
Max