On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 06:07  PM, Chris Devers wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Andrew Hartung wrote:
>
>> I live alone and have a firewall up.
>
> Like winter clothing, security practices work best in layers. If your
> computer is attached to the internet, it's never really alone. Firewalls
> may block certain kinds of unwanted traffic, but you never know when
> someone will find a hole -- all you can do is assume that, sooner or
> later, someone you don't want to be there will get inside. With that in
> mind, it's still a good idea to compartmentalize how much damage an
> intruder can do, and leaving in reasonable permissions -- certainly not
> global write access everywhere -- is a big step towards doing that.
>
> If you really want to be able to create & delete system files in the
> GUI,
> I'm sure that there are shareware tools for doing this. Seems like your
> options are to get used to the shell, pay for shareware, or just accept
> that sooner or later someone will get past your firewall and, when that
> happens, it will have been your main/only defence.
>
> *shrug*

Just to embark on the layer concept, for the most part it should be
sufficient to make things group-writable by wheel, since you are
naturally admin user (not that there's a guarantee against someone
intruding under an admin user account...)

>> The reason I want it that way is to make it easier to delete old
>> source,
>> builds, etc... using the finder.
>
> ...if that's all you want to do, you can make a cron job out of it. :)

Furthermore, that would basically just require the permissions of
/sw/src to be changed. There probably is not much to be said against
that (unless someone should actually install a  spoofed tarball, but
that's probably a bit far-fetched, and many packages also test the
checksum before compiling).
As for anything else, there's also the point of protection against
yourself. You don't really want to delete anything inside /sw/bin,
/sw/lib etc. from the finder, so it's best not to enable it in the first
place!