For me latex and pdflatex work fine on Tiger, just as they do on Panther (with everything up to date). So _fortunately_ the earlier message on latex being renamed to pslatex (and latex becoming pdflatex) was not quite correct (that would just have been crazy):
Typing latex still produces a dvi file.

Maybe an example will help: here is a file I called fomula.tex,
documentclass{minimal}
\begin{document}
Nobody would ever claim that \quad
$
\vec\alpha_1(\xi,x)=\frac{\dot{\mathbf r}}{\vert \hbar\vert}\mbox{\quad for\,\,}\xi\neq 0
$
\end{document}

This generates the following output (on my Tiger machine with update-all performed three days ago):

latex formula
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./formula.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, b ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch, esperanto, e stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar, norsk, polis h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish, swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/minimal.cls
Document Class: minimal 2001/05/25 Standard LaTeX minimal class
) (./formula.aux) [1] (./formula.aux) )
Output written on formula.dvi (1 page, 644 bytes).
Transcript written on formula.log.

It would be crazy if the default for latex had been changed to invoke pdflatex - a decade's worth of old LaTeX sources would suddenly have to be compiled differently. Certainly pdflatex may be the best choice for newly created documents, and that's probably why applications like TeXShop or Equation Service use it as their default.