At 6:26 AM -0500 1/16/08, Ben Abbott wrote:
>On Jan 15, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

<- snip ->

>In any event, tor my purpose, I only need to understand the manner by
>which R computes quantiles, so that the same algorithm may be applied
>to Octave. Hence, my need is short term.

In that case, I think the R documentation is adequate.

Go to a CRAN mirror, such as http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/, click on
the "Manuals" link at the left, download the R Reference Index (a
pdf), find the man page for the quantile function (in the stats
package), and I think you'll have what you're looking for.

Or install the binary distribution for Mac OS X from CRAN and use the
help from there. If your Mac OS is too old for the current CRAN,
older versions can be found at CRAN.

Source code can be downloaded easily enough from CRAN if you want to
see the actual source code.

-Don

>However,  I can still take a look at this if you think it proper to
>press on.
>
>Ben

Don MacQueen
Environmental Protection Department