On Mar 15, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> I'm confused about how preference settings in Gnome apps, specifically
> fonts in Gnucash2, work.  I hope someone here can shed some light on
> the
> matter for me.
>
> Mac OS 10.5.2 w/ all updates, Intel.
> Fink 0.28.1, unstable source.
> XQuartz 2.1.4 from Macosforge.
> Fink package versions included below.
>
> I'm running XQuartz's default window manager, not the Gnome desktop.
>
> When I start gnucash2, the fonts in the register windows are a bit
> smaller
> than I'd like.  This preference is set in the Gnome control center,
> so I
> start that.  (Gnucash is still running.)  When the control center
> window
> comes up, most of the icons are missing; screen shot at
> <http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cobbe/misc/gnome-1.png>.
>
> When I double-click on the Font icon, three things happen
> simultaneously:
>  - the font dialog appears
>  - the icons in the control center window appear (screen shot at
>    <http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cobbe/gnome-2.png>)
>  - the fonts in Gnucash magically snap to the desired size.
> (Although the
>    register window doesn't redraw itself, so I've got 12-point fonts
> in
>    spaces for 9-point, or whatever, and I have to restart Gnucash.)
>
> All subsequent Gnome apps do get the defaults, until I kill and
> restart the
> X server.  At that point, we're back to square one.
>
> It *looks* like Gnome knows what my preferred settings are, but it
> has to
> be poked into making those settings take effect.  Does anyone know
> why this
> is happening?  More practically, how can I set things up so that
> Gnome apps
> automatically get the preferences without me having to poke the
> system?

Something has to poke gnome, or more specifically, launch the gnome-
settings-daemon. Otherwise, the programs can't get to the settings.
The screensaver seems to be a separate process that doesn't use the
daemon, even though the screensaver process is launched automatically
when launching control-center or the daemon.

> If it helps, it's always the "screen resolution" and "screensaver"
> icons
> that are good when I first start the control center.  Double-
> clicking on
> the screensaver icon is *not* sufficient to wake Gnome up, but
> double-clicking on the keyboard icon is.
>
> Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
>
> Richard

With respect to gnucash, I believe the gnucash developers specifically
chose not to require control-center. They used to get a lot of flack
about the size of the dependency list (it takes about 150 fink
packages to install gnucash on a bare fink install). OTOH, with that
many, what's a dozen more?

I think the reason why the fonts in gnucash without the daemon running
are so small is that the default dpi capability of screens several
years ago was 85-90, now it's typically (on macs) 100-105. There's
some gnome default screen resolution that drives the gnucash font size
in the absence of the settings-daemon. While you can set the
resolution in control-center, I don't think that's the number that
apps can use if the daemon isn't running.

I just figured some of this out today, even though I noticed the font
size oddities ages ago. Now that I'm spending some time wrestling with
pieces of gnome 2.22, I've finally spent enough time in the swamp to
understand a few more things.

You can poke gnome prior to running gnucash by:

/sw/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon &
gnucash

(this works for control-center 2.12.3 anyway). You will get some kind
of error if the daemon is already running. I'm not sure how things
shake out once that error occurs, though. The "&" puts the daemon in
the background so you don't have to have an extra terminal window
around while it's running. The daemon will exit when you quit the X11
app.

Dave
--
David Reiser