Ben Abbott wrote:
[]
> I've moved each of the *.la files to a folder on my desktop
>
> When building octave from the developer's sources, I still get the libtool
> warnings ...

But these are only warnings now, no error.

> libtool: link: warning: `/sw/lib/gcc4.4/lib//libgfortran.la' seems to be moved
[]
> Which is strange, since ...
>
> $ ls -l /sw/lib/gcc4.4/lib//libgfortran.la
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 944 2009-11-02 09:25
> /sw/lib/gcc4.4/lib//libgfortran.la

Usually you get these warnings when the *.la file is found in a
directory that does not correspond to its "libdir" field. Maybe libtool
is allergic to the double "//". But then the next question would be
where this double "//" comes from. Certainly from another *.la file. And
so on...

> I installed gcc4.4 after I had previously deleted all the *.la files. Perhaps
> I should delete them again (or better yet, should Fink handle that)?

Fink should definitely handle the *.la file mess. But with the currently
greatly reduced activity of the Fink chiefs, it is not sure when this
will happen. They had a year to mull it over.

OTOH, the *.la file mess only appears when you upgrade from 10.5 to
10.6. Once you have a sane system *.la-file-wise, then building packages
that create further *.la files should not cause problems. The only bad
*.la files are those that have dependency_libs fields that point to
non-existing other *.la files, and they do this only because these other
*.la files existed previously and were removed during the upgrade.

> I haven't tried deleted anything else. Octave does build, but when I try to
> run it ...
>
> $ ./run-octave
> Bus error

Now this is a different story. It should go into a different thread
(once there is more information from the crash log).

--
Martin