> On Jun 9, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Sunil Shah <ssha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alexanderk.han...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 9, 2015, at 18:48, Sunil Shah <ssha...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:ssha...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I should have been careful in my statement about what worked for me.
> >
> > I am trying to understand the problem you referred to about octave 4.0.0
> > not building on clang++.
> >
> > I have been quite impressed with the  performance of Octave code on Mac OSX
> > using fink.  My tests used octave382-atlas-qtmac  3.8.2-6.  It has also
> > been quite reliable.
> >
> > The fact that the code works much faster on four year old hardware with a
> > lot fewer cpu cores and even after using the latest Ubuntu tools /
> > libraries on the high end Intel machines on EC2 is remarkable.
> >
> > Apple does claim that its Accelerate framework is much faster than standard
> > BLAS / ATLAS. A lot of the improvements were part of 10.9 / 10.10 update
> > (see WWDC 2013-2014 videos).  I will check if the default "octave" performs
> > faster than the octave-atlas version.
> >
> > Now, as you imply in your last email,  if the default "octave" variant uses
> > clang already, what is the issue with octave 4.0.0 and clang++? Or is it a
> > new issue in octave 4.0.0 in moving from 3.8.2?
> >

> Almost everything in Fink uses clang/clang++ to build on 10.7 and later.  I
> don’t happen to have a transcript handy, but it’s a new issue in moving from
> 3.8.2, and the issue is that Apple’s clang doesn’t like some of the source
> code and thus Octave can’t be built.
> —
>
> I suppose it does not help that Apple is moving over to Metal from OpenGL.
>
> Do the offending modules have to do with OpenGL?

No. The problem is with clang syntax. It is possible to overcome by patching
Octave (beyond my skill set) or by fixing the clang compiler bug(s) on Apple’s
end.

OpenGL is the basis for Octave’s native graphics. My understanding is that both
Metal and OpenGL support will coexist. So Metal shouldn’t be a problem for
Octave.

Ben