> On Apr 8, 2019, at 11:30 AM, Dario Panada <dario.pan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I two initial numpy grids (n*n*n) where each value corresponds to a
> source/sink. Eg: Given my source grid and coordinates (1,2,3) having value 5,
> I want to set such value as a source in FiPy.

That wasn't my question. When you publish your research, is your paper going to
say "We put a source at array index (1,2,3)"? Why did you put it there? What
physical process would you be modeling by having a source at index (1,2,3)?
Would that physical process be changed by modeling a 40x40x40 grid?

> I suppose I could build the entire vector of sources before and then doing a
> single assignment to _array, but again you correctly mentioned that relying
> on that is bad practice.

If you assign to _array, I will change the FiPy codebase for the sole, spiteful
purpose of breaking your code.

> You mention:
>
> sourceGrid[..., i] = sourceRate
>
> Can I just please confirm what data type sourceGrid is? In the context of
> defining the equation

sourceGrid is a CellVariable

> eq = TransientTerm() == DiffusionTerm(coeff=D) + sourceGrid - sinkGrid
>
> Can sourceGrid/sinkGrid just be numpy arrays or even simple python lists? I
> was under the impression they had to be CellVariable objects but could be
> wrong.

sourceGrid and sinkGrid must be CellVariables.