You can posrt the difference between new ICU versoins in firebirdsql.org to
help developers/users/admins to decide wheter an update nedded at all.

-----Eredeti üzenet-----
Feladó: Paul Reeves [mailto:pree...@mail.ibphoenix.com]
Küldve: 2020. április 29., szerda 13:38
Címzett: firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Tárgy: Re: [Firebird-devel] ICU File Deployment Guidance

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 11:59:43 +0100
Tony Whyman <tony.why...@mccallumwhyman.com> wrote:

> Hopefully, an installer package will eventually be made available to
> automate the process. However, the above manual procedure is all that is
> currently available.

I'm wondering how people think we could automate this process. Thoughts that
immediately come to mind are:

  - We have no control over the release cycle of tzdata. The update to
    https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/tree/master/extern/icu/tzdata
    seems to be manual at the moment.

  - Looking at the update history over at
    https://github.com/unicode-org/icu-data/tree/master/tzdata/icunew there
    can be up to 10 changes per year.

  - The changes will, in all probability, more than 99% of the time, have no
    relevance for over 99% of our users. But can one take the risk of
    ignoring them?

  - Even if we can provide timely, automated updates how will a server
    installation know to look for them? A task scheduler of some sort would
    need to check. We don't have one built in to Firebird so it would mean
    adding something platform specific.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves