On 29/04/2020 13:27, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 29/04/2020 08:37, Paul Reeves wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 11:59:43 +0100
Tony Whyman <tony.why...@mccallumwhyman.com> wrote:

Hopefully, an installer package will eventually be made available to
automate the process. However, the above manual procedure is all that is
currently available.
I'm wondering how people think we could automate this process. Thoughts that
immediately come to mind are:

   - We have no control over the release cycle of tzdata. The update to
     https://github.com/FirebirdSQL/firebird/tree/master/extern/icu/tzdata
     seems to be manual at the moment.

Looks like you are not aware of things, where automated daily github
action peeks changes in
https://github.com/unicode-org/icu-data/tree/master/tzdata/icunew and
creates a pull request for us.

It has just happened this week.

Adriano

My own view is that a Windows Installer Package for tzdata is essential if the time zone database is to be kept up-to-date. Recall that most operational deployments are highly controlled production environments where the System Administrator will demand that updates are strictly controlled and subject to source verification. It also should be possible to quickly roll back any updates if a problem is found.

If the pull request is automated then it should not be difficult to rebuild the tzdata installation package automatically and, once it has been tested, it can be formally released with an EMail announcement sent out to alert interested parties.