On 29/04/2020 12:37, Paul Reeves wrote:
   - The changes will, in all probability, more than 99% of the time, have no
     relevance for over 99% of our users. But can one take the risk of
     ignoring them?

Unfortunately this 'excuse' is quite prevalent in most actions relating to TZ ... How do I ensure that data I distribute which includes World War Two time offsets will be handled correctly if the user does not have 'backzone' on their setup. It's too difficult so handle pre-1970 data so we will ignore it! The vast majority of users will never know ...

   - Even if we can provide timely, automated updates how will a server
     installation know to look for them? A task scheduler of some sort would
     need to check. We don't have one built in to Firebird so it would mean
     adding something platform specific.

This part of my objection to even having wasted the time to include a restricted support for timezones AT ALL in FB4. The starting point of solving the problem of handling potentially critical changes to TZ data is tzdist, but while the RFC has been approved, no one has stepped up to the plate to provide a feed. The whole point of tzdist is that you can ask if a rule set has changed since it was last used ( or even since the data was normalized ) and one can at least establish if the event you published for say next week will be at the same UTC time if astronomical observations have change the start of Ramadan for example. tzdist also provides validation of the time frame over which a rule set is valid so one can flag when there is no offset available for a pre1970 date.

This is not a firebird problem ... this is a problem with the core data, and TZ is only required to provide post 1970 data. There is no source of pre 1970 data that can be relied on despite the fact that a growing historic record is being validated even in the TZ backzone data. SO TODAY ... the best way of working is using UTC normalized data along with additional fields recording location and version and type of tz data used to provide that normalization! The FB4 'timezone' is yet another unreliable data source! And this is the same for historic data and published calendars for the coming 6 months ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL