On 2020-05-29 23:12, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 29-05-2020 22:07, Leyne, Sean wrote:
The default list should only contain options which are available
without additional configuration or initialization.

I disagree.

The default should represent best practice, most sensible and reasonable values.

1- SRP is not a commonly used protocol

It is the default for Firebird 4. Personally I don't see why the security database distributed with Firebird 4 (and Firebird 3 for that matter) can't be either pre-initialized for SRP, or automatically initialized on first use.

Legacy approach of pre-initializing with well known to the world password is very bad idea. Not to tell much words about security - have you ever seen unix distro with pre-initialized root password?

Our installers all try to do the best possible to initialize SYSDBA. What about completely automatic initialization - yes, we can do it and save new random SYSDBA password to firebird.log. But I doubt that this is better solution compared with existing - how can novide guess where to search for that password?