Thinking about the symptoms from a software engineer / sysadmin
perspective...

Hopefully Yahoo have designed their system so that a fault duplicates
rather than skips a given message when a machine goes down part way through
sending out a batch. That's how I would have de signed it too.

It is irritating to get the same message twice but not anywhere as bad as
finding out you totally missed one

It does not make sense to do a full transaction handling style "commit"
after each email so if anything fails during a batch, that whole batch gets
send again and those lucky enough to be at the top of the list get
duplicates, those lower down the list don't.

If so what we are seeing is the effect of a sensible design decision,
triggered by whatever issue is currently making their servers unreliable

Their servers do seem to be unreliable at present.

MY guesses include
- venerable/unmaintained software,
- overload with increasing usage,
- overload due to increased hacking attempts,
- overload due to increased security software in response to fears of
increased attack surfaces as new threats are understood
- overload escalation (ie as any of the above takes out one server the
others get a bigger load while the failed one reboots and that makes
another one more likely to go down just after picking up the work that was
dropped)

Those are all guesses: afaik Yahoo has not commented on this yet.

In my opinion the fact that some of us are seeing >2 copies of some emails
implies that overload escalation is compounding whatever the original
problem is.  But that is just a guess built on guesses...

(If you were my line management I would be using words like "tentative
conjecture" "working hypothesis" "potential causes to eliminate from our
troubleshooting" rather than "guess". Luckily this issue is not my problem)

R~~

  • [firebird-... Tomasz Tyrakowski t.tyrakow...@sol-system.pl [firebird-support]
    • Re: [... James Woodard woody-...@gt.rr.com [firebird-support]
      • R... Tomasz Tyrakowski t.tyrakow...@sol-system.pl [firebird-support]