Dear Joe,

However, I rather tend to agree with you that Loet's, Rosen's and Dubois'
models of communication, anticipation, etc. are somewhat too abstract. The
models, as I think Loet may agree, are created for analysis, and do not define
the physical, dynamic relation between the models, the creation of models and
what is being modeled as processes.

They are not so abstract that one would not be able to measure these mechanisms
using information theory. The models can be expected to generate redundancy
because they are entertained in the present when restructuring the system,
while they indicate possible future states. Bob Ulanowicz pointed me to the
mutual information in three dimensions that can indicate redundancy (= negative
entropy). Last year, we had a discussion with Klaus Krippendorff about the
relation between this redundancy and the probabilistic entropy which is
necessarily generated when the redundancy is historically retained (because of
the second law). [Redundancy in Systems which Entertain a Model of Themselves:
Interaction Information and the Self-Organization of Anticipation,
<http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/12/1/63> Entropy 12(1) (2010) 63-79; <pdf
<http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/12/1/63/pdf> >]

The retention mechanisms of anticipation operating in systems is historical and
therefore measurable; the anticipatory mechanisms are not directly measurable
because they are not part of the res extensa, but remain res cogitans. However,
they can be simulated. The theory and computation of anticipatory systems have
provided us with new instruments for doing so (Rosen, 1984; Dubois, 1998).

At his time, Husserl (1929) had no instruments beyond the transcendental
apperception of this domain of cogitata and therefore he has to refrain from
empirical investigation; as he formulated:

We must forgo a more precise investigation of the layer of meaning which
provides the human world and culture, as such, with a specific meaning and
therewith provides this world with specifically “mental” predicates. (Husserl,
1929, at p. 138; my translation).

The progression has been made in terms of the analytical modeling (Rosen,
Dubois) and the development of means to measure redundancy generation within
cultural domains (McGill, Ashby, Ulanowicz, Krippendorff). See for further
elaborations:

 <http://www.leydesdorff.net/meaning.2011/index.htm> "Meaning" as a
sociological concept: A review of the modeling, mapping, and simulation of the
communication of knowledge and meaning, Social Science Information (in press);
<pdf-version <http://www.leydesdorff.net/meaning.2011/meaning.pdf> >

The Communication of Meaning and the Structuration of Expectations: Giddens'
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/GiddensLuhmann/index.htm> "structuration theory"
and Luhmann's "self-organization," Journal of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology 61(10) (2010) 2138-2150; <pdf-version
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/GiddensLuhmann/structuration.pdf> >

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor, University of Amsterdam
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111

 <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> l...@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Visiting Professor,  <http://www.istic.ac.cn/Eng/brief_en.html> ISTIC, Beijing;
Honorary Fellow,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of Sussex