Von: ssal...@binghamton.edu

Datum: 01.04.2011 21:38

An: <fis@listas.unizar.es>

Betreff: Re: [Fis] Discussion colophon--James Hannam. Orders and Ordering
Principles

It seems obvious to me that any property held by a very complex entity (e.g.,
human being), IF it can be modeled, then that model can be used to generalize
that property ANYWHERE we wish to.  On these grounds I have been busy working
on 'physiosemiosis' using the triadic formulation of semiosis of Charles
Peirce.  I have proposed that the 'sign' emerges from the context of an
interaction between object and system.  If context has no effect on the
interaction, there is no semiosis.  If, on the contrary, context affects the
interaction, then we have semiosis, even in a pond.

The key is whether the trait involved can be modeled; on these grounds it has
not yet been shown that 'qualia' can be generalized beyond the human
experience, yet even a child can see, for example, that a mother hen is very
unhappy when her chicks are threatened.

STAN