Saturday, December 3, 2011, 8:43:47 PM, Gavin wrote:

> I was reading Richard Dawkins book “the greatest show on earth” and
> almost fell over backwards when I read his comments about life and
> information. He says the only difference between living matter and
> non living matter is information. That would be the most conjectural
> statement I have ever read. There is not one scrap of evidence or
> test or mathematical model to prove this statement.

Don't you find it strange to think that such a successful and
prominent scientist, recipient of many honourary doctorates and other
awards* and former Professor of the Public Understanding of Science,
would take such a position?

Is it not much more probable, a much more conservative hypothesis,
that Dawkins means something different by "information" than you do?

I'd suggest that, if people want to promote information science,
Dawkins is someone they should be following. He's probably done more
for public recognition of the place of information in science than
anyone else has or is likely to do in the near future. Though Stephen
Hawking, with his work on the black hole information paradox, should
not be neglected.

(I wrote to Dawkins in the early nineties suggesting that life could
be defined as the survival of information. I'd love to say that he got
the idea from me, but in fact he replied saying that it was true, but
obvious! I have the handwritten letter (actually my own letter
returned with his notes in the margin) carefully stored because I
think some day it might be valuable!)

* See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Dawkins#Awards_and_recognition

--
Robin Faichney