Dear Loet,

I think you made an important point.
It is really a problem if we use the same term "Information Science" for
different things.
What "Information Science" in the Web-of-Science's Science Citation Index
journals is about is something different from what we thought of.
"Science" in their case consists in systematization, description etc. - a
conventional idea of science about already existing artifacts and related
phenomena
addressed by already established methods.

That is why the Handbook on the Philosophy of "Information"
http://www.illc.uva.nl/HPI/ (which is close to what we discuss within FIS)
is not titled Handbook on the Philosophy of "Science of Information".

Maybe the field we have in mind is just "Information" or "Foundations of
Information" (that is how Brian Cantwell Smith calls it)?

Maybe that is why the journal "Information" is not in the Web-of-Science's
Science Citation Index.
Because we discuss things that are not mainstream and already existing.
However, this does not prevent us from trying to introduce into curricula some
basic knowledge that already is established in Foundations of Information.
In the similar way as it is introduced in the HPI, even though many things are
still under development.

Best,
Gordana