On 11 May 2012, at 13:10, Hector Zenil wrote:

Information that readers may find interesting:

Stephen Wolfram has written the first in a series of blogs posts about
NKS titled "It's Been 10 Years; What's Happened with A New Kind of
Science?":
http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2012/05/its-been-10-years-whats-happened-with-a-new-kind-of-science/

Stephen will also be hosting an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit, where
he will be taking questions  about NKS and his research program on
Monday, May 14 at 3pm EST.

I think it is a good opportunity to start an interesting discussion
about several topics, including of course information and computation.

It looks like advertising for a type of universal system, the cellular automata. They are certainly very interesting, but such system are harder to use to reflect about the first person / third person distinction, crucial in our matter.

The fundamental theories have to be machine independent, and the classical study of the ideally self-referentially correct machine, seems to me more informative for the question relating the first person points view to the third person points of view. It helps to formulate the questions, even if in toy situation. This already suggest why our "physical" neighborhoods seem to be emulable in polynomial time only by a quantum computer.

Using Wolfram type of approach for fundamental studies, is a form of digital Aristotelianism. It does not work. It assumes mind-body identity thesis which contradict computationalism. It takes for granted a conception of reality hardly sustainable both with the facts, and with what comp predicts machine's facts can possibly be.

Digital physics implies computationalism, but if you take the 1/3 person points of view distinction into account, computationalism entails a non digital physics. So digital physics is conceptually erroneous.

See the references in my URL for a proof of that statement. You need only Church's Turing thesis, and the assumption that consciousness is invariant for *some* digital transformation (which follows from computationalism).

This does not preclude that cellular automaton are very interesting, and can have many applications, but it is not clear to make it into a new science. We want to ask what about that science is, for it does not seem to address the most fundamental questions.

Bruno Marchal

Sincerely.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/