Quoting Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic <gordana.dodig-crnko...@mdh.se>:

> 2.       Whatever changes in the states of the physical world there
> are, we understand them as computation.

Dear Gordana,

I'm not sure I agree here. For much of what transpires in nature (not
just in the living realm), the metaphor of the dialectic seems more
appropriate than the computational. As you are probably aware,
dialectics are not computable, mainly because their boundary value
statements are combinatorically intractable (sensu Kauffman).

It is important to note that evolution (which, as Chaisson contends,
applies as well to the history of the cosmos [and even the symmetrical
laws of force]) is driven by contingencies, not by laws. Laws are
necessary and they enable, but they cannot entail.

Regards,
Bob