My dear FIS-friends,

I apologize for not withstanding the pace of our discussion – you are already
busy with the problem of “meaning” (Steven) and I am still preparing to answer
Howard’s letter about linguistic biology…

Dear Howard,

Thank you for your suggestion to “add yet one more approach to the list:
linguistic biology”. Unfortunately, I cannot accept it – because it is
redundant and tautological.

My definition of information is Information is a linguistic description of
structures observable in a given data set. (I apologize for non-providing any
arguments for justifying this statement. Interested people have to go to my old
papers in arXiv, Research Gate or on my web site  <http://www.vidia-mant.info>
http://www.vidia-mant.info ).

For the reasons provided just above (and elsewhere), any use of the term
“Cognitive” implies the use of the term “information” (information processing)
and, thus, already contains linguistic descriptions of data structures in a
given data set (in a given object). Therefore, strengthening Cognitive biology
with Linguistic biology is simply a tautology.

I also cannot accept the allusion to the Guenther Witzany’s work (as an attempt
to justify the backup of Linguistic biology). Meanwhile, Witzany himself
illuminate the issue in his response to Jerry Chandler (20.06.2015). I myself
was enlightened about the subject by a 2004 paper of Eshel Ben-Jacob (et al)
“Bacterial linguistic communication and social intelligence”, Trends in
Microbiology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 366-372, August 2004. I have cited it in my
2009 paper “Some considerations on how the human brain must be arranged in
order to make its replication in a thinking machine possible”, (.
<http://arxiv.org/abs/1002.0184> arXiv:1002.0184 [
<http://arxiv.org/pdf/1002.0184> pdf]). I do not want to spend much more time
on this issue and to draw our discussion farther in this direction.

Finally, I do not agree either with your statement that “each approach uses a
helpful metaphor”. Brain as a computer metaphor (dominating in the past
century) has exhausted its life cycle, “Computational” approach today is a
harmful and a dangerous relict. It would be wise not to galvanize it again.

I apologize for the delayed response.

Best regards,

Emanuel.