From: Fis [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: miércoles, 29 de julio de 2015 17:41
To: fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] Information Foundation of the Act--F.Flores & L.deMarcos

Dear colleagues,

I read your paper with interest. Since my interest is “information”, I focused
on this concept.

1.      If I correctly understand, you define information as the 2-log of the
number of options. I would be inclined to call this the maximum information
content of an act, using H(max) = 2log(N); in which N is the number of options.
You do so too at the top of p. 29 (line 1). You organize this under the
subtitle “Obervation of information”, whereas I would be inclined to consider
this as the specification. An observation of the number of options used in an
act would lead to a number lower than the “pure information value”, since not
all options are always used.

2.      If the information value is equal to the logarithm of the number of
options, the concept of information only serves analytically as a
transformation rule for expressing the number of options in bits. The two (N of
options and n of bits) are coupled to each other in terms of the logarithmic
transformation.

3.      At several places, one parameter is not logarithmically transformed
while others are. For example, at the bottom of p. 25, the 106 people are
whole-number counted in the multiplication under Presentation 19. One could
argue that who of the one million people acts, adds another dimension to the
possible combinations, and should therefore also be brought under the
logarithm. Are options exclusively individual, and never social?

4.      Is the computational rule in this formula correct given that log(a*b) =
log(a) + log(b). You compute 16 bits * log(10); but 16 bits is also the result
of taking a logarithm. (The 16 bits represent the number of options of a human
body.) Should not you compute the 2log([2^16] * 10)? Or alternatively (16 +
log(10))?

5.      On p. 28, you move from the conversation of information in isolated
systems (line 11) to “the rule of the conversation of information for multiple
acts”. But human agency is not an isolated system, in my opinion. We are
coupled through our communications which generate non-linear loops. For
example, one can expect the other to entertain expectations about oneself like
one entertains expectations about the other (Parsons; Luhmann). In sum, the
argument that action is only bodily and in relation to artifacts (as isolated
systems) seems questionable to me. Or is this your “materialistic” assumption
(p. 1: “Matter is potentiality;” …). Why would not the potentiality of matter
contain a plurality (multiplication?) of options?

It may be difficult to communicate given different starting points. Please,
correct me if I misunderstood you.

Best,
Loet