Dear Terry and Loet,

I think both of your posts put forward a very important concept to information
studies, i.e., HIERARCHY.

Terry stated: "Communication needs to be more carefully distinguished from mere
transfer of physical differences, …… Any transfer of physical, physical
differences in this respect can be utilized to communicate, and all
communication requires this physical foundation."

I hope to raise a similar question: what is the mode of the existence of
information? My answer is: No information can exist in a bare way. That is to
say, any existence of information is premised on the existence of substrate,
and the substrate can be hierarchical. In the same way, no information can be
communicated or processed in a bare way if and only if it has been embedded in
the substrate. In human information, substrate can be divided into sign, paper,
etc., or other electronic devices. In genetic information, substrate can be
divided into base, DNA or RNA, chromosome, cell, and organism. The study about
the mode of existence of information is an important aspect of ontological
research of information science.

In Terry’s statement: "Simply collapsing our concept (compression, collapse) of
'communication' to its physical substrate ……", or in Loet’s words: "One should
not confuse communication with the substance of communication." Again, this is
a hierarchy problem. Because no information can be communicated in a bare way,
so the communication of information is premised on the communication of
substrate, the same is true in the processing of information. Then, any
communication of information is twofold: communication of information and
communication of substrate. The study about the mode of communication and
processing of information is the important aspect of dynamical research of
information science.

Best wishes,

Xueshan