Dear Dai, Søren, Karl, Sung, Syed, Stan, Terry, and Loet,

I am sorry to reply you late, but I have thoroughly read every post about the
paradox and they have brought me many inspirations, thank you. Now I offer my

Dai, metaphor research is an ancient topic in linguistics, which reveals the
relationship between tenor and vehicle, ground and figure, target and source
based on rhetoric. But where is our information? It looks like Syed given the
answer: "Information is the container of meaning." If I understand it right, we
may have this conclusion from it: Information is the carrier of meaning. Since
we all acknowledge that sign is the carrier of information, the task of our
Information Science will immediately become something like an intermediator
between Semiotics (study of sign) and Semantics (study of meaning), this is
what we absolutely want not to see. For a long time, we have been hoping that
the goal of Information Science is so basic that it can explain all information
phenomenon in the information age, it just like what Sung expects, which was
consisted of axioms, or theorems or principles, so it can end all the debates
on information, meaning, data, etc., but according to this view, it is very
difficult to complete the missions. Syed, my statement is "A grammatically
correct sentence CONTAINS information rather than the sentence itself IS
information."

Søren believes that the solution to this paradox is to establish a new
discipline which level is more higher than the level of Information Science as
well as Linguistics, such as his Cybersemiotics. I have no right to review your
opinion, because I haven't seen your book Cybersemiotics, I don't know its
content, same as I don't know what the content of Biosemiotics is, but my view
is that Peirce's Semiotics can't dissolve this paradox.

Karl thought: "Information and meaning appear to be like key and lock." which
are two different things. Without one, the existence of another will lose its
value, this is a bit like the paradox about hen and egg. I don't know how to
answer this point. However, for your "The text may be an information for B,
while it has no information value for A. The difference between the
subjective." "‘Information’ is synonymous with ‘new’." these claims are the
classic debates in Information Science, a typical example is given by Mark
Burgin in his book: "A good mathematics textbook contains a lot of information
for a mathematics student but no information for a professional mathematician."
For this view, Terry given his good answer: One should firstly label what
context and paradigm they are using to define their use of the term
"information." I think this is effective and first step toward to construct a
general theory about information, if possible.

For Stan's "Information is the interpretation of meaning, so transmitted
information has no meaning without interpretation." I can only disagree with it
kindly. The most simple example from genetics is: an egg cell accepts a sperm
cell, a fertilized egg contains a set of effective genetic information from
paternal and maternal cell, here information transmission has taken place, but
is there any "meaning" and "explanation"? We should be aware that meaning only
is a human or animal phenomena and it does not be used in any other context
like plant or molecule or cell etc., this is the key we dissolve the paradox.

In general, I have not seen any effective explanation of this paradox so far.

Best wishes,

Xueshan