2006/8/14, Axel Liljencrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On 8/14/06, Martin Baehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<zap>
>>i used:
>> echo "help is being displayed in a window of" $fish_browser
>>which tells me exactly what i want to know, namely which executable fish
>>has found for use.
>
>help is being displayed in x-www-browser
>
>is not helpful, IMO. I added this to help.fish:
>
>        set -l browser_name $fish_browser
>        switch $fish_browser
>            case 'htmlview' 'x-www-browser'
>                set browser_name (_ 'your default browser')
>        end
>        printf (_ 'help: Help is being displayed in %s\n') $browser_name

May I suggest something akin to the following instead?

switch $fish_browser
    case 'htmlview' 'x-www-browser'
        set browser_name (_ 'help: Help is being displayed in your
default browser\n')
        break
    default:
        printf (_ 'help: Help is being displayed in %s\n') $fish_name
end

Note that I'm not completely sure about fish's switch and case'ing. It
might also be more profitable to use an if-else clause instead, I'm
not sure.

>The strange bits with '_' are for providing translations to other languages.

And the above allows for 'weird' locales to say something like "Help
is browser displayed in your default." (I'm not sure there are any
languages/locales that would put it like that, but the option exists
and this would make it more clean for those. Basic i18n rule of thumb:
Refrain from splitting up sentences whenever you can help it.)

--
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>