On 8/14/06, Martin Baehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 04:43:39PM +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> > The documentation is written in Doxygen
> > [ ... ] there actually is an option to create
> > man-pages from the documentation.
>
> great. maybe i'll take a look if the pain becomes to large.
>
> > help is being displayed in x-www-browser
> > is not helpful, IMO. I added this to help.fish:
> >                set browser_name (_ 'your default browser')
>
> but "your default browser" by itself is not helpful either because it
> does not tell me where this is defined. i never use such default
> variables, but always just call the programs i want to run directly. so
> when you tell me you are using my default browser, you will leave me
> puzzled because i wonder where you got that from because i never defined
> a default browser.

It's not helpful, but at least it's not (very) confusing. Who's ever
heard of the htmlview command? Some users may have noticed that there
is a configuration option to choose the default browser in the
preferences menu, however.

It would be nicer if we know what browser htmlview and friends launch,
but we don't. These applications are ugly hacks, future Unix versions
should extend the .desktop files and the mimetype database to handle
user configurable default application lookup. Once that happens, I'll
be sure to update fish so that the users preferred browser will be
explicitly named, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort right now to
try and figure out where x-www-browser and htmlview stores their data.

--
Axel