Hi Greg,

Alt-Up, without any text entered, goes back through each argument in previous
lines, filtering out duplicates. So for example (from my current command
history), if my last three commands were:

bundle install
brew search postgres
brew install postgresql

Then Alt-up gives me, in sequence: postgresql, install, brew, postgres, search,
(skip brew), bundle, (skips install), bundle.

With text entered, the behavior is the same, but only shows you arguments that
contain the text.

One note: if it’s still not working, check your key bindings. On my Mac, using
Terminal.app, Alt-Up/Down worked fine, but Alt-Left/Right didn’t work out of
the box, I had to add these two lines to my config.fish:

# Custom bindings
bind \033b prevd-or-backward-word
bind \033f nextd-or-forward-word

I found the sequences to bind by looking at the “Keyboard” tab of my Profile
preferences (see screenshot here:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/bddd0021-3cf3-4720-b271-7b53e3b49169/4e44faa3355570a538ec46b022a0a868).
 Depending on your terminal program, you may need to find out/assign the
correct sequences for the bind commands.

Hope this helps,
—Diego