On 2/4/06, elibol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anggie, my immediate advice would be to design your application API before
> you begin unit testing your functions; break down and generalize the
> internal communication of the application, use your own diagramming
> dialect
> to describe the application on paper. If you're gonna be hardcore about
> it,
> begin reading a book on UML diagramming. I would say about 70 percent of
> programming is knowing what you're going to do, and how everything will
> communicate via object API ( this is where design patterns come in ).
>
> It's important to consider design patterns, I would highly recommend
> reading
> Actionscript 2.0 essentials. It's important that you move away from
> programming in actionscript 1.0 (frame code). I would further recommend
> Design Patterns by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides (the GOF). It is a
> timeless classic that has less to do with code and more to do with the way
> things should be constructed and thought about.

Ugh, I haven't finished reading the GOF's book.
I think I need brain vitamins. Could you suggest one? ;)

In your experience, are patterns useful in small projects? You know, I've
been learning patterns through
"C#.NET Design Patterns" and so far, to me, patterns only useful in big
projects (in small ones, it might make
things overcomplicated). Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I'm not sure what the others wrote, so I may be repeating what they've
> already elaborated. There was too much bs for me to keep reading, except
> for
> what Bjorn wrote, whom hence forth I shall refer to as Yoda. Some of the
> other replies were so long that I was frightened. I preach concision to my
> fellow programmers.
>
> And to contradict my preaching concision, I feel compelled to mention that
> it's more intelligent to take advice then to give it, so, keep on keeping
> on, as the North American southerners would say. It will make sense when
> you
> read it to yourself with a 'hick' accent. Go ahead, try it.
>
> Good luck,

Thanks

--
Anggie Bratadinata