- draw with draw api a gradient fill in a movieclip (mask_mc), 0x00ffffff to 0xffffffff - create a new BitmapData (mask_bd) to copy the content of the gradient mask
- draw mask_mc in mask_bd
- create a new BitmapData (image_bd) to contain the movieclip to be masked
- draw the movieclip in image_bd
- create a new BitmapData (picture_bd) to contain the final result
- copy image_bd to picture_bd using mask_bd as mask

for instance it would be perfect if in the copyPixels I could use movieclip instead of bitmaps :)

for static movieclips I could avoid to create picture_bd at everyframe for instance. Any other suggestion?

cheers, chr