He's selling it to me.  My master plan is to kill AJAX, and this was the
only way... by owning Flash, too.  However, you all have nothing to fear
since I love Flash so rest easy.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Mulvihill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:54 PM
Subject: OT: RE: [Flashcoders] RIA patent granted

:-) No Chad, I'm quite sure few, if any, are aware of this:

"The patent--issued on Valentine's Day--covers all rich-media technology
implementations, including Flash, Flex, Java, Ajax, and XAML, when the
rich-media application is accessed on any device over the Internet,
according to the patent holders...

A patent has been granted to a relatively unknown California Web-design firm
for an invention its creator says covers the design and creation of most
rich-media applications used over the Internet. The patent holder, Balthaser
Online Inc., says it could license nearly any rich-media Internet
application across a broad range of devices and networks.

Potentially tens of thousands of businesses--not only software makers
employing its business processes but companies offering rich-media on their
Websites--could be subject to licensing fees when they use rich-media
technology over the Internet."

Guess Adobe AND Microsoft got caught with their pants down. But all is not
lost. Neil Balthaser, a former VP of strategy for Macromedia, plans to sell
the patent to someone...

See more on
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180206472&c
id=RSSfeed_IWK_News