You could always just tell that the IE is a buggy and insecure browser - and that in order to use your application, active scripting must be enabled. If your client balks then tell them IE is vulnerable with any web technology - it is just a piece of crap application. Explain to your client that you could just as easily create a signed java applet that would load a virus through JNI that could do anything it wants to a user's PC. It is up to users to be vigilant and aware of the vulnerabilities in their applications. For trusted sites, users should allow active scripting. For sketchy sites, users shouldn't.

In any case, you as a developer should let users know that active scripting is required to run your site in the same way that you would let them know that Flash or javascript must be enabled - or develop without any Flash or javascript calls to the browser. You cannot be expected to seamlessly handle every moron user's ignorance about 'dat innernet thing'. There is only so much a developer can do to coddle users before they have to take responsibility for their online activity.

Éric Thibault wrote:
How are we going to explain to our clients the new alert box poping up when you talk to a function on the HTML page from Flash....

Read this : http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1212

:o