Well,

The first thing Google brings for "site:chattyfig.figleaf.com envelope"
is recent Flashcoders discussion "Applying transformations to text?"
:-)

Are you LART'ng me? I started that thread, and never got the right answer!

AND also one named "skew function" (2001) with a nice functions from Robert
Penner and others.

Robin Debreuil's example:
http://www.debreuil.com/skew/skew_v01.swf

I haven't tried yet, but maybe you can:
1) Break (dynamic) text into letters
2) Skew each letter and scale, if needed

What do you think?

I don't want to speak for Marc, but from my thread, what I'm looking for is an effect similar to what TypeStyler has done for 15 years, and what Photoshop has done going back to v. 6.0, which is an envelope distortion.

In fact, Flash can do it already in the IDE...convert text to vectors and then apply the envelope controls to all the letters as a group...and it does exactly what I need it to do.

But, there's no way to apply those controls in AS or programatically, which is how I started the thread...looking for another way to do it!

-Andre2w

--
Best regards,
GregoryN

------- aklist_flash wrote:
From the online samples, I don't see any demonstration of the claimed
ability to distort the text, just to place the letters along different
curves. Am I missing something? I hope so, since I've been looking for a
way to do text distortions (such as making text fit a flat-topped arch).

- Marc Hoffman

I, too, have been looking for a solution to this problem. Some users have
suggested using the bitmapData and the displacementMapFilter, but it seems
like it would be exceedingly complicated to do a very simple effect like an
"arch"...it would involve (I think) splitting the text into multiple
sections and applying different displacements to the sections...way beyond
me!

This FLA was suggested:
http://www.senocular.com/flash/source.php?id=0.172

and it seems like it could be tweaked to do a simple "squeeze" or
"bloat"...I haven't got that far with it yet.

Alternatively, it seems like it would be much simpler to pass the text and
some distortion parameters to an image-rendering app and re-import a PNG of
the distorted text into the player. I haven't been able to find any app,
however, that could run in the background on a server to handle the
image-processing!