My main motivation for this stuff in Flash is so that my code actually gets
checked by the compiler, vs. Flash's crappy built-in code-checking for the
stage. That is, it will tell me if I've mis-spelled something, created
duplicate variables, the list goes on...

In addition, I write my classes in FlashDevelop, which gives you code
completion. Which means when I start to type:

import mx.

I get a listing of all packages that Macromedia's written, instead of
looking for stuff in the help (that's fun).

And best yet, when I type:

var sBigD:ScottsSuperHugeOne = new SuperHuge();  //just a little
poly-morphism thrown in there (huck-huck) ;)

and I type:

sBigD.

I get a list of every function in my class, as well as its signature (params
& types).

I'm only talking about FlashDevelop here. Guess I'm spoiled by Java & .NET
which have instance access to API's at your finger tips (when in the right
IDE's).

I'm just trying to find a better and efficient way to go. Way open to
suggestions!

-Scott