Scott,
 To me, an abstract class is one which has a partial - but incomplete
- implementation i.e. you should never find yourself writing new
SomeAbstractClass() - you should only ever be creating objects derived
from it. The abstract class contains some useful re-usable stuff, but
can't function on its own. Halfway between an interface and a class,
if you like.

 That being the case, I can't quite see how intrinsics apply, as by
their nature they include no implementation at all.

 The simplest way of faking an abstract class in AS2, I think, is
just to mark the constructor as private. (Oddly, in AS3 Macrodobe have
taken out the facility to mark a constructor as anything else than
public - and I really can't fingure out why.)

Ian