Consider the following, Flash 8:

var w=200
var h=200
holder=this.createEmptyMovieClip("bmp1", this.getNextHighestDepth());
var bmpData1:BitmapData = new BitmapData(w, h, true, 0xFFFF0000);
bmp1.attachBitmap(bmpData1, 2, "auto", true);

This will attach the bitmapdata so it's top left is situated at the reg
point of the mc, how do I attach it, or later move it so the reg point
of the MC is situated at any point I wish, without using nested MC's?

The problem being I want to make an exact bitmap copy of the contents of
an MC, which could have it reg point set anywhere - and I want the new
copy to inherit the same registration point, but like I said before -
without having to resort to nested MC's - surely this is possible and
I'm missing something blindingly obvious?

Cheers