hi flashsaavy,

  Thanks for ur inputs.

  Arin

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  arin,

i recently sat and passed the Flash 8 Certification exam.

i had previously passed the Developer cert for both Flash MX and MX 2004. i had
never sat the Designer cert.

my impression is that the Flash 8 Certification exam IS a Developer exam. my
guess is that to pass the Flash 8 certification, you have to know ActionScript.

mind you, when you sit the exam you might end up with a completely different
set of questions. my guess is that they have hundreds of questions, of which
you will have to answer 70. passing grade is 70%, meaning you have to get 49+
correct to pass. and you have 75 minutes to complete the exam.

yeah, the test prep materials for the Flash 8 Cert suck.

but ...

here are some things you definitely should do:
-- sample questions that download with the PDF at Adobe.com with the info about
the Flash 8 exam
http://partners.adobe.com/public/en/ace/ACE_Exam_Guide_Flash_8.pdf
-- sample question that download with the PDF at Adobe.com with the info about
the Flash MX 2004 Developer exam
www.adobe.com/support/training/certified_professional_program/flmx2004_dev_sample.pdf
-- sample question that download with the PDF at Adobe.com with the info about
the Flash MX 2004 Designer exam
www.adobe.com/support/training/certified_professional_program/flmx2004_des_sample.pdf
-- know what is new with Flash 8. there are 1 hour of training videos on F8 new
features here:
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=170
and you can get a 24 hour free pass here:
http://www.lynda.com/freepass/24

beyond that, you can use some MX 2004 Developer study guide materials. tom
kitta created a sample exam and put up a ton of his notes. you can find links
to both here:
http://www.tomkitta.com/flash/index.cfm

and you can still get the MX 2004 Developer study guide book:
http://www.amazon.com/Macromedia-Flash-Certified-Developer-Study/dp/0321256026/

as i said earlier, you might end up with completely different questions than I
did. following are 3 topics that I saw more than 1 question on:
-- LoadVars
-- Font outline embedding. defaults for static text, dynamic text, input text.
etc.
-- Video. Video class. import formats supported.
-- Audio. Sound class. import formats supported.

one surprise for me was no questions related to components. v2 or otherwise.
none. nada.

there were non-ActionScript questions. some related to the IDE. so maybe those
came in from the Designer cert, or maybe not. things like "publish profiles",
bandwidth profiler, etc.

one last bit of advice, if you can afford to take it twice, the best way to
find out what is on the exam is to take it. you definitely have to prep for the
first time that you take the exam. in the event that you don't pass on the
first go, you have to know enough to know what you didn't know. if that makes
sense. so if you can afford the risk of taking the test a second time don't
over agonize about it. prep, go, if you pass the first time excellent. if not,
likely you will know exactly what you need to study up on to pass it with
flying colors the second time around.

i hope this helps. please post back about your experience after you take the
exam.

and anyone else who has taken the exam. please post your impressions too.

best of luck!

On 12/6/06, Orindom Dhar wrote:Hello,

Has anyone out there,cleared the flash 8 professional certification exam. If
yes, could you please give some advice on how to prepare for it. Unlike
previous flash certifications, in flash 8 they have combined the designer and
developer and made it as one,its ridiculous! As a hardcore actionscripter I
would have loved to skip the graphic designing part.Sigh!Also there is no clear
cut blueprint from adobe for flash 8 cert exam.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

regards,

Arin