Jim,

The problem seems to be that each of my button states is a MovieClip.  In
your version, the buttons states are just raw graphics and text the timeline
of the button.  Do a "convert to symbol" on your graphics, and change each
button state into a MovieClip.  The hit areas will no longer work.

This works in AS2, but not AS3, so I'm thinking it's a bug in Flash.