john,

  just curious, in this case are you using as3 in cs3?

  i ask because the flash cs3 promo material touts a new "advanced debugger"
"consistent with the flex builder 2 debugger".

  personally, i never found any use for the debugger in flash 8 or  earlier.  i
do find useful the debugger in flex builder 2.  i have not  yet tried the
debugger for as3 in cs3.

  i do see this article up on devnet regarding the as3 debugger in cs3:

  introducing the actionscript 3.0 debugger
    by peter elst
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/as3_debugger.html

    has anyone here tried out the cs3 as3 debugger?  can anyone offer  feedback
whether you have find the cs3 as3 debugger of any use?

John McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I am getting increasingly frustrated
trying to debug in the Flash IDE.

I  see some, but not all of the variables I expect to see as I step  through
code. Also, when I step to the next line I step to some  unexpected line.

A google search throws up: trace(), step  over/into/outof and our wonderful
Xray but nothing on making the Flash  debugger do a proper job. Perhaps I am
missing something. Can anyone  throw any light on this inadequate behaviour?

In desperation.

John