-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Grden
Sent: Tuesday, 3 July 2007 7:00 AM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Flash Debugger's not up to it.

well, I have yet to see any properties show up in the debugger (well, I did
see it once, but haven't since then).  I'm not an authority on the flash
debugger by any means.  In fact, I wrote Xray without even touching the IDE
debugger.  Only later did I go back to see what it was capable of when
someone asked for a comparison.

looking over the article, I skimmed it really, but I saw alot of info about
step in/out/over and breakpoints in general, then something about changing
properties at runtime.  Xray's never been able to do breakpoints, but it's
been dynamically executing actionscript since MX days (IE: you could change
"ringo starr" to "ozzy osbourne" back then at runtime with Xray).

But I have nothing against the IDE debugger by any means, and since Peter
wrote the article, I'm more inclined to think there's something substantial
there that wasn't there before.

Xray's focus, too, hasn't really been logging, though it started out as a
logger that recursed my objects :)  it's more of a tool for "flashers" in
general to find out what in the world their visual application is doing and
why.  So, when you get into creating grid lines, controlling sound/video,
filters and executing actionscript at runtime that's not compiled with the
swf, Xray is in a different category altogether (IE: not only changing
properties, but calling methods, reflection etc).

Now, going into AS3 is really a different ball game for Xray.  It's not
going to try and shove an AS2 expectation into an AS3 world, and that's why
I'm not just throwing out a connector right away (actually, I'm thinking of
releasing what I do have since it works and I've been using it since last
year).

anyway, that's my 2 cents :)

I'll definitely try and use the new debugger though - if it's good and it's
easier to use than Xray, Amen.

> john,
>
>   just curious, in this case are you using as3 in cs3?
>
>   i ask because the flash cs3 promo material touts a new "advanced
> debugger" "consistent with the flex builder 2 debugger".
>
>   personally, i never found any use for the debugger in flash 8
> or  earlier.  i do find useful the debugger in flex builder 2.  i have
> not  yet tried the debugger for as3 in cs3.
>
>   i do see this article up on devnet regarding the as3 debugger in cs3:
>
>   introducing the actionscript 3.0 debugger
>     by peter elst
>     http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/as3_debugger.html
>
>     has anyone here tried out the cs3 as3 debugger?  can anyone
> offer  feedback whether you have find the cs3 as3 debugger of any use?

> John McCormack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I am getting increasingly
> frustrated trying to debug in the Flash IDE.
>
> I  see some, but not all of the variables I expect to see as I
> step  through code. Also, when I step to the next line I step to
> some  unexpected line.
>
> A google search throws up: trace(), step  over/into/outof and our
> wonderful Xray but nothing on making the Flash  debugger do a proper job.
> Perhaps I am missing something. Can anyone  throw any light on this
> inadequate behaviour?
>
> In desperation.
>
> John

[  JPG  ]