Haven't tested it but where you call eliminateSpaces inside the function, you don't save the result...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mendelsohn, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:22 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Returning a String fails

Hi list...

I've written a simple routine to eliminate spaces from a user entered
string.  But, it won't return the string.  I'm sure it's something
silly.  Can anyone shed light?

- MM

function eliminateSpaces(phrase:String):String {
var foundSpace = phrase.indexOf(" ");
if (foundSpace != -1) {
phrase = String(phrase.substring(0, foundSpace) +
phrase.substring(foundSpace + 1));
if (phrase.indexOf(" ") != -1) {
eliminateSpaces(phrase);
} else {
trace("output: " + phrase);
return phrase;
var s:String = eliminateSpaces("moe and larry and curly");
trace(s);

/* RESULT:

output: moeandlarryandcurly
Undefined