Aside from the fact that this is not as simple a method as doing a String.split() and then joining each array element, your method didn't keep the return value after each recursion. I added a local var for clarity.
================================
function eliminateSpaces(phrase:String):String {
        var testString:String = phrase;
        var finalResult:String;

        var foundSpace = testString.indexOf(" ");
        if (foundSpace != -1) {
                testString = String(testString.substring(0, foundSpace) +
testString.substring(foundSpace + 1));
                if (testString.indexOf(" ") != -1) {
                        testString = eliminateSpaces(testString);
                } else {
                        trace("output: " + testString);
        return testString;
}
var s:String = eliminateSpaces("moe and larry and curly");
trace(s);

jord