Ian Thomas wrote:
On 8/21/07, Steven Sacks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If we take two students and you teach them OOP for 1 month and I teach
them procedural for two weeks and then OOP for two weeks, my student
will be further along than your student. The reason is simple.  When you
learn the fundamentals first you have a greater capacity for
understanding of more advanced topics.

I really don't agree -- and I'd like to see you back that assertion up with
some hard data.

You want hard data that learning fundamentals before advanced topics is more effective? ;)

> Inheritance, abstraction, interfaces et al - these are all advanced topics and require a firm base to be working from (and there I agree with you).

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

"Object-oriented programming (OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their interactions to design applications and computer programs. It is based on several techniques, including inheritance, modularity, polymorphism, and encapsulation."

OOP is based on the things you acknowledge are advanced topics. Ipso facto, OOP is advanced, right? ;)

There is a flaw in the logic that OOP is right and Procedural is wrong. The truth is that there is a right way and a wrong way to program, no matter what methodology you use.

What we're really arguing about is being a conscientious coder. The assumption that using OOP means you write better code is incorrect. A lot of people who code OOP don't actually do it very well, but they sure think they do. It's as if they're coding with "OOP" so they MUST be coding correctly.

There's a wrong way to code OOP. I've seen it. I've seen coders use singletons and static classes when they shouldn't. I've seen coders doing MVC where they put controller code in the view. I've seen people tying the Command and Proxy design patterns together when assigning simple button onRelease methods, creating a nearly impossible chain to track down when you just want to change a link.