Hi Dave,

I have to wonder -- if you just wanted confirmation of your gut feeling, why did you write to a technical forum? Sorry, but it annoys me to have taken the time to provide objective information when all the poster wants is validation for a gut response.

If your concern is truly to avoid legal liability, you should ignore your feeling of being pissed off and seek legally accurate information. From the US Patent and Trademark Office website (<http://www.uspto.gov/go/pac/doc/general/#patent>http://www.uspto.gov/go/pac/doc/general/#patent) :

There are three types of patents:

1) Utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof;

Obviously, more information is needed to establish whether the process in question qualifies for a patent, but just because it's a process (not a tangible product) does not disqualify it.

Can we still be friends?

Marc