I usually would break out the thumbs into their own class with a
MovieClipLoader for each but this may give you the same effect:

function displayThumbs()
{
    for (i = 0; i < modelsArray.length; i++)
    {
        var img_mcl:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
        img_mcl.addListener(this);
        var path:String = "http://www.bottero.net/2008/images/modelos/s/ref";
+ modelsArray[i] + "s.png";
        img_mcl.loadClip(path, thumb_mc.img_mc);
function onLoadInit(target:MovieClip)
{
    main.hideMc(target._parent.loading_mc);

}