Yes, my apologies.

I guess I was mixing up dynamic properties with the standard properties.

Dynamic properties do get wiped, but standard ones are preserved, as Marc
states.
loader2.idiot = "jonathan";
loader2.onRelease = function(){
        this.loadMovie("circle.swf");
}

// then once it is loaded
trace(loader2.idiot); // traces "undefined", (which is clearly not true. we
know exactly who the idiot is, yes?)